Within the Scope

Blogging on Administrative Law and the Public Sector

Sunday, September 27, 2009

On Neglect

Neglect (ni-glekt′) – transitive verb: 1. to ignore or disregard; 2. to fail to care for or attend to sufficiently or properly; 3. to fail to carry out (an expected or required action) through carelessness or by intention.

I know that I have been neglectful of this blog. And I do feel bad about it.

The crawl spaces in my week that I used for reading reported decisions and writing case summaries, slowly collapsed under the weight of projects that I had piled nearby. I took on some additional responsibilities at my day job; and then the chairmanship of the Administrative Law Section of the MSBA. I agreed to do a CLE webinar for the American Bar Association; accepted some other speaking engagements around town; and pledged to lead a committee at the kids’ school; et cetera, et cetera …. The adjacent pile just got higher and higher.

As small as my crawl space for blogging has always been, it was the one enterprise that did not have a firm deadline. And so, I put it off a day. And then a week. And then some more.

In this season for turning, however, I see the error in that plan. I should not be so neglectful. My new plan is to say “no, I really can't” to more things in the future, making for larger spaces to write here. So, with any luck, there will be more postings soon. So please stay tuned.